Happy Fall my friends!
It’s hard to believe summer is over and the equinox is now upon us. The seasons are changing once again in the small state of Vermont, bringing all the glorious views and crisp mornings with it. It’s time to get excited for cozy days, hot chocolate, hiking and enjoying the beautiful explosion of colors…and of course, celebrating spooky season!
With days getting shorter and nights getting longer, it’s time to add as much spice, flavor, and color as you possibly can into your life…in the name of self-care…and because fall is the best season.
Last weekend I went on a little adventure to gather some ingredients for a drink I’ve been dying to make; The Bright & Bitter Mocktail. I went to a local distillery, Mad Rivers Distillers, to browse their amazing collection of bitters and specialty products. With alcohol-free cranberry and orange bitters in hand and my shopping bag filled with juicy citrus fruits, I journeyed home to get started.
I first had this drink a few years ago before I turned 21 in the States. I forget what restaurant it was that served it to me, but I remember this mocktail being super delicious and refreshing.
When I started my journey making chocolates infused with CBD, I started to delve into more sophisticated flavor profiles to cater my recipes to an adult clientele. I altered an orange creamsicle truffle to embody the “bright and bitter” flavors. By adding CBD, assorted bitters, and citrus flavors to a Swiss white chocolate couverture, I created a confection that is now one of my most popular and original creations! Smooth, bright, and bitter. Get yours here!
Alternatively, you can make your own delicious mocktail.
You think mocktails are boring? Think again. This drink is flavorful, delicious, refreshing, and energizing all at once. Honestly, it is the best elixir I have ever made. Besides if you need an extra kick, nothing is stopping you from adding a little gin, rum, or tequila! 😉
Here is the recipe so you can make your own at home!
The Bright & Bitter
- 3 cups orange juice
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened cranberry juice
- ¾ cup lemon juice from about 4 lemons
- ¾ cup lime juice from about 6 limes
- ¼ simple syrup, or 2 tbsp honey (or to taste)
- 20 or more dashes non-alcoholic bitters (I used Fee Brothers Old Fashioned Aromatic Bitters, flavors cranberry and orange)
- Chilled soda water
- Lime wedges for garnish
- Mix the orange juice, cranberry juice, lemon juice, lime juice, and sweetener in a pitcher. Add bitters and sweetener as needed!
- Add desired amount of ice and stir to chill. Top off the pitcher with soda water to taste. Serve over ice with lime wedges.
- Enjoy! 😉